I love to bake, but I don’t get to do it often for fear of binge eating every last bite and not saving some for anyone else (obviously I have no self control). I also HATE protein powder. Like..strongly hate. I’ve tried recipes here and there and it still gave it that chalkiness that protein powder seems to always have in any recipe that calls for it. But, alas! While scrolling through my Pinterest feed, I found a recipe that gave my protein powder fearing self hope. This recipe calls for rolled oats, (which by the way, i’ve learned is not the same as old fashioned or steel cut oats) chocolate whey protein powder (I used Extreme Milk Chocolate by Optimum Nutrition), and coco powder as far as the dry ingredients go. Chocolate chips are also used in the recipe, but you can substitute for cocoa nibs for a little bit of a healthier option. Other things like unsweetened applesauce and almond milk is include, but I’ll list the full recipe below. You guys, this tasted too good to be true. It’s definitely not a super healthy freak food, but it’s still better than your Pilsbury or Nestle option you have out there (I still love you Dough Boy). I followed the recipe pretty exact- down to the baking time and it still came out a little wet in the middle, so next time I’ll bake it for a bit longer. You definitely need to let it cool completely before serving, even though warm gooey brownies sound tempting, you’ll just end up with a lava brownie cake thingy. So messy. Any way, I hope you guys enjoyed my first recipe blog, and hopefully there will be more to come! In the meantime, follow me on Pinterest and see all the healthy (and not so healthy) recipes I love! -XO, J.
**By the way, not only is this recipe guilt free, but it’s also gluten and dairy free..you know..if you’re into that kind of stuff. Just make sure your protein powder and vanilla are gluten free.
- 1/4 cup gluten free rolled oats
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup Whey Chocolate Protein Powder of your liking
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup Unsweetened Vanilla or Chocolate Almond Milk
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips, plus 2 tablespoons for topping
- 1/2 cup raspberries, broken up into large pieces
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 8×8 inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. I used a coconut oil based spray.
- Place oats in blender and blend for a minute or until they resemble the consistency of flour. Transfer oat flour to medium bowl then whisk in protein powder and cocoa powder; set aside.
- Whisk together applesauce, egg, honey, vanilla and almond milk until smooth and well combined. Add to dry ingredients and mix together until just combined.
- Microwave coconut oil and 1/4 cup of the chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl until completely melted. Gently stir into brownie batter.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan. Sprinkle remaining 2 tablespoons of chocolate chips and raspberries on top; Bake for 18-22 minutes or until just cooked through and the top has set. Transfer pan to wire rack to cool completely. Once cool, cut into 12 bars — please note that bars should be kept covered in the refrigerator and enjoyed cold!
Recipe provided by Ambitious Kitchen.